Written by Eva Bjorg Aegisdottir and translated by Victoria Cribb, The Creak on the Stairs is a slow burn of a mystery set in the small(ish) town of Akranes, Iceland. In it we’re introduced to Chief Investigating Officer Elma, who has recently returned to her hometown from Reykjavic after her long-term relationship ended unexpectedly.
Quick bullet point review:
- simple without being overly simplistic
- well-written (and translated)
- interesting protagonist (although the supporting cast is a bit shallow)
- twisty plot (that unfortunately leaves a couple of niggling loose ends)
- overall a quick and entertaining read
This is the first in what is (currently) a three book series, and is an ultimately satisfying read that left me eager to see what’s next for these characters. I will probably jump right into book 2, Girls Who Lie.